September 16, 2012

Fluffy Apple Pancakes

     Go figure, I wake up this morning wanting breakfast. However, after the whole oven fiasco yesterday resulting in no power to the stovetop to actually make breakfast, it looked like I was out of luck.
     Then I had a stroke of genius. (Ok, not really, but it seemed to be one at the time.) I remembered the electric griddle that was in the hall closet. Normally, we only really use it for quesadillas because it's faster and easier to be able to make two at a time on that versus one at a time in a pan on the stovetop. But what to make on it? Pancakes! Nice, fluffy pancakes. (Yum.)



     The recipe that I used was originally from somewhere (don't ask where, I have no idea) on the Internet, but I figure I have changed it up enough that it isn't really that same recipe anymore. Here it is:


Fluffy Apple Pancakes

   Makes about 8 pancakes

     Ingredients:
3/4 cup milk
2 T vinegar
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 T butter, melted
1 medium apple, grated     


     Directions:
1. Combine milk and vinegar. Let set for at least 5 min.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk egg and butter into milk mixture. Combine flour mixture and milk mixture. Whisk until lumps are gone. Add grated apple.  Let sit for a minute or so. (This will allow the vinegar in the milk to react with the baking soda resulting in fluffy pancakes.)
3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or drizzle a little olive oil in the pan.
4. Using a ladle, pour on batter & cook. About 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.


     If you don't like apples in your pancakes, you don't have to use them. It doesn't affect the outcome of the actual pancake other than taste.
     These are also good if you replace the apples with blueberries. If you do choose to use blueberries, coat them in flour first. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the pancakes.
     I personally do not think that these pancakes need anything other than a little butter or margarine on them, but how you serve them is entirely up to you.

"'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,' said Piglet at last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?' 'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh. 'What do you say, Piglet?' 'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?' said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. 'It's the same thing,' he said."
- A. A. Milne,  'The House at Pooh Corner'

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that you're ending each post with a quote. This is one of my favorites (it made mom laugh as well). Thanks, Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my quotes! And who doesn't like Winnie the Pooh?

      Delete