October 3, 2012

Breakfast... It's what's for dinner!

     There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with having breakfast for dinner. For tonight's breakfast for dinner, we had Crock Pot Cinnamon Rolls and Scrambled Eggs with Ham.
     I originally saw the recipe for the cinnamon rolls on Pinterest. That pin linked me here. The recipe is super easy and makes some cinnamon rolls that are pretty dang good. Mom even said that she could stop making her cinnamon rolls. Dad quickly said no to this because Mom's cinnamon rolls have this yummy, sticky, gooey stuff on them that the Crock Pot Cinnamon Rolls do not.
    To make the Crock Pot Cinnamon Rolls:

------------------------------

          1 can of biscuits
          1/4 c melted butter
          1 tsp. vanilla
          1/2 c brown sugar
          1 tsp. cinnamon
          pecan pieces (optional)

          Glaze:
          1 1/3 c powdered sugar
          2 T milk

          1. Coat the Crock Pot lightly with cooking spray.
          2. Melt the butter in a small bowl. Mix in the vanilla.
          3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
          4. Roll the biscuits in the butter and then brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
          5. Place prepared biscuits in the Crock Pot and sprinkle with pecan pieces.
          6. Cover the Crock Pot with a paper towel and put the lid on. (Prevents condensation.)
          7. Cook on low 2-3 hours.
          8. Mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of rolls when plated.

------------------------------

     For the biscuits, I used Pillsbury Grands since I figured they are a nice fluffy biscuit when cooked normally so they would be great for this recipe; they were. The recipe only called for pecans, but we like walnuts and pecans, so I used both. Also, the original recipe said that you could add more milk to the glaze if you wanted, but I actually added more powdered sugar since the rolls would be hot and would cause the glaze to run easily so it would better if it were thicker.
     Along with the Cinnamon Rolls, we had scrambled eggs and ham. For the ham, I used half of a Kirkland Boneless Ham Steak that was cut into cubes. I put this in a frying pan on medium while I mixed up the eggs. 
     I made these as you would normal scrambled eggs: eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. I heard from someone that if you add some sour cream to your scrambled eggs, it makes them fluffier so I put some of that in too. I used 1 dozen eggs so I put about 2-3 T of sour cream in the eggs. It doesn't mix in completely so it looks kind of weird. I think Dad described how it looks best by saying that it looks like when you make waffles and mix in the whipped egg whites.
     Once the ham had caramelized some, I poured the egg mix in and proceeded to cook them as one would with normal scrambled eggs.
     The end result was very, very good. We have scrambled eggs and ham every now and then, so that was nothing new and they were as good as they always are. I didn't really think that the sour cream made much of a difference, but that could be because I did not put enough in. When Dad has eggs in the morning, he usually has two eggs and he says he puts about a teaspoon in and it seems to help, so I could have just not had the right ratio of egg to sour cream.
     The cinnamon rolls were a little bit tough/chewy on the bottom and edges, but not too much. It was kind of like the edge pieces on a pan of brownies (without a doubt the best cut of brownie).


On the left, butter and vanilla. On the left, cinnamon and sugar.

I'm quite proud of myself. I usually flinch when I open a can of biscuits, but this time I did not.


Dip in le butter...

... then le cinnamon sugar.

Rolls pre-nuts.

This is the amount of nuts I used. You can use more or less as per your preference.

Rolls with nuts.

It looks weird and everyone kept asking why there was a paper towel on the Crock Pot, but it really does help to keep the condensation off of the rolls. I changed the paper towel twice during the cooking process because it was starting to get wet and I did not want that to start dripping onto the rolls.

The rolls when they're done. You can't really tell from this picture, but the rolls rose to double their original size.

One dozen eggs. Not how yellow the yolks are; these are real eggs not store-bought.

Cubed ham. Half is plenty. Any more and you would have to call it ham with scrambled eggs.


You can hardly see it, but there are chunks of ham in there. It looks weird with the sour cream chunks.


Look at those yummy scrambled eggs cooking.

The final plating. Look at how nice that roll is. 


"I do not like green eggs and ham!
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
You do not like them.
SO you say.
Try them! Try them!
And you may.
Try them and you may I say.
...
 I do so like green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you, Sam-I-am."

- Dr. Suess, "Green Eggs and Ham"

No comments:

Post a Comment